LightSwitch HTML Client – The lsWire Core Project

Our new lsWire Core project will be the basis for all of our tutorials going forward.

Its based on the lsWires framework and is our first tutorial being hosted on our new site, http://lightswitch.codewriting.tips

This is also our first tutorial that we’re providing a “Starter Kit” so that you can not only quickly get going, but that you can create as many new solutions from this core project as needed.

This little item alone will, hopefully, dramatically change the landscape of the LightSwitch ecosystem. By allowing developers to provide their own starter kits from their own amazing solutions.  Especially since Visual Studio has not provided a means for creating templates from LightSwitch Applications.

Click here for a direct link to the tutorial.

Tagged , ,

12 thoughts on “LightSwitch HTML Client – The lsWire Core Project

1. jmanley501 says:

I’m having an issue. When I try to browse to a screen that has lsWire.initializeCore(screen, false); in the created event for the screen. The screen automagically transfers me to the root of the website.
    Any ideas?

2. silva says:

Hi Dale, thank you much, I’m learning a lot from your Blog and Tutorials. I have a question, how is is possible to let user change the password? Thank you so much!

3. Ruud Jeursen says:

Hi Dale,

Compliments on all your efforts to make LightSwitch a great tool!
    I’ve completed the steps 1 to 4 so far but I’m stuck on step 5 Managing users and permissions: in step 1 in this section (Security Data Source) you stated: “LightSwitch already creates a Security service for user management. It’s the same service that the Silverlight application uses. This service is located at the following url:
    http://{domain:port}/Microsoft.LightSwitch.SecurityData.svc ”
    What do I fill in for {domain:port} ? At this stage I’ve not setup any website to publish my app yet. Can you help my out here ?

Best Regards, Ruud

• dwm9100b says:

Good day Ruud,

Sorry you are having the issue.

The domain/port when you are doing your development would be: http://localhost:12345/

The 12345 would be the port that is assigned to your project. You can easily find this by a couple of ways… Most easiest would be to just run the solution, even tho its not yet complete. Another way it go is to open up the server.csproj file and towards the bottom will be your IISURL.

When you publish your app… you just use the domain… port isn’t required.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. Would also appreciate your comments so I can fix what may not be clear.

dale

• dwm9100b says:

Ruud, I responded directly via email. Let me know if you received or not.

dale

• Ruud Jeursen says:

Hi Dale, Happy New Year and thanks for your answer, it worked!

I’ve spent my Dutch Christmas holidays partly on working through the tutorial, having fun in my learning! I’m determined to finish it and take the next step towards the starter-kits..
        If I need more help I ‘ll let you know!
        By the way: I didn’t receive you email, but please respond by email using ruud.jeursen@deltabasesupport.nl

Best regards, Ruud

4. Konrad U says:

Dale,

Thanks for the great examples. I have the lstable enhancements working fine. When I get the lswires package and add it to my project it asks to replace the default.htm file and after replacement has global.asax errors from the C# code included. VS asks for a provider during the execution. Any idea of how I fell off the safe path?

Thanks
    Konrad

• Konrad U says:

Note this is a VB project.

• Jerom says:

Hey Konrad,

Running into the same issue (Want to add Lswires to an existing VB project). Did you manage to solve it?
        Best regards,

Jerom

• Konrad says:

No I have not. Mixed projects are possible but not easily accomplished. More hassle than it is worth. I have had good luck translating code in quite a few cases.

5. Hi Dale, this is awesome, thank you; but what happened to the Menu Tiles section?

• dwm9100b says:

I’ll be going down a more modular approach. The Core will be just that, the basic core to work with the lsWires framework. Then I’ll have these additional projects one can use that are built upon the core, like the Menu Tiles.

With the new Powershell script I have it makes sense to go down this path. So I’ll eventually publish out a core with tiles project that you can use the PS Script to make clones as your own starter.